The Innocence Abroad

... observations of the International

Monday, September 26, 2005

Oktoberfest- a one time experience

How could you not go while you were in Germany? That is pretty much the question I knew I would face many times over if I did not go to München for one day at least and experience the world-renowned drinking fest that is Oktoberfest. I knew that my peers would slap me as to knock some sense into me if they were to find out I had decided to skip this great cultural event. So I took my opportunity to experience Oktoberfest and joined my school mates for a day long trip. The train was crowded- people standing in the aisles for almost two hours (though I lucked out and got a seat). Yes there was plenty of Laderhosen worn by men and "doodles" (as was told to me by a german) for women. When we arrived I was amazed by what was Oktoberfest. Far from the cultural experience I figured, but more of a drunken Disneyland. Kiddie rides crowded the entrance while in the back all the Beerhalls were in the back. Each tent served a different beer from Munich- Augustiner, Paulener, Löwenbrau to name a few. So I and a few of the other Americans went to a tent and looked around for a place to sit so we might get the coveted "I am in Munich and paid 8 euros for a huge frickin' Beer" Picture. (A would-be drinker must be sitting at a table to get a beer and therein was the biggest problem faced by the group.) We also wanted to see the inside of one of these tents- where the most fun was to be had. We waited at the door with many others for a chance to get in. The tent was packed and no one was getting in. This frustrated the most people, namely the Italians who began pounding on the door shouting "Italian! Italian!" as if the nationality of the drunk person would give a the grim looking Bavarian a second glance. We watched as numbers of people left but no one entered. Even people were literally thrown out for some reason or another. We inched closer to the door. We were close enough to see what was going on inside- music playing, people everywhere dancing on the table. The day was hot and I was becoming very dehydrated and very ready to leave and buy the overpriced mineralwasser for 3 euros. I waited for nearly an hour and a half before giving up. Me and one of the other Americans decided to chance it and go to another tent. Maybe it would be easier to get a spot at a table with just two. That didn't work- absolutely nowhere to sit. Even asking if someone could make some room- for only a second just so I could order the beer- didn't work either. Everyone apparently is waiting for a friend at Oktoberfest. I doubt they ever showed. By this time people were absolutely wasted everywhere you looked. Friends were dragging their friends through the grounds. I could here the sounds of Country Roads could be heard almost in every tent (which must be one of the most popular drinking songs in Germany if not the most popular.)I was about to give and go to a Kneipe, some local bar that I could order the same thing with a calmer atmosphere. I don't consider myself the biggest party person- being arounds thousands and thousands of drunks. Most of these drunks were not German either- they were Italian or American. I began to wonder if Germans were actually here and all the people wearing the laderhosen were suckered tourists. After wandering for awhile we ran into some Germans were supposed to meet a friend- finally a chance. We wandered around again with our new friends to where their friend was. When they did find their friend- they decided to leave again and so we decided just to stay put and wait aroudn for a table. A Swiss man soon came up and started just chatting with me and my friend and (finally) offered us a seat a a table. Not the inside of the a tent but it worked. We ordered the coveted beer and chatted with our tablemates. There were two swiss guys, two italians and eventually some americans showed up who were studying in London for the semester.
It was interesting to talk to the Swiss who were very conservative -"I like Bush. Good Economic policy." etc. One thing about the Swiss that I come to understand is that it is not the Swiss long ago learned the benefits of peaceful existence. No it is always easier to claim neutrality when you hold everyone else's money, and it also keeps you from getting invaded. Afterwards I had to buy some food- overpriced bratwurst and some Bavarian peanuts. Okay quality but nothing to write home about. The Oktoberfest, pretty much attended by more Americans than Germans. And I still don't know exactly why so many people come to Munich to drown in beer. I hear it was either about celebrating a wedding from a long time ago or to celebrate the harvest.

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Andy!

At least you gave Oktoberfest a try. It may have been a waste of time, but at least you can say that based on first-hand experience. =)

Next time you go to Munich, be sure to check out the fabulous museums.
Sarah

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,
My dear. How are you? What have you been doing? Do tell do tell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home