The Innocence Abroad

... observations of the International

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Time for Erfurt and goodbyes (warning corny posting ahead)

I am finally moving on to Erfurt this Saturday- my permanent palcement in Deutschland. It is a city in East-Central Germany- part of the fromer GDR. It is a very beautiful city and I can't wait to live there. My Address there is finally here. I have two at this moment, one for the whole month of Oktober and then one that starts for November. I know that I will be living with three German students once I move in November. I haven't met anyone (other than my tutor in Erfurt) and do not know anyone else in Erfurt. Most of the people that went to Radolfzell have been really fun and I got to know many pretty well. That makes it a little sad to go, but this is when the real adventure begins and hope that I will see some of these great people over the course of the year. Lassen sie mich einige Freunde vorstellen...
Here is Gwen and Emily- a couple of PPPers. Emily is a Pitt fan so we had to find some common ground about the Steelers. She is staying Munich right next to the Prince of Bavaria (I'm not lying! How it happened is still a mystery). Gwen's from Wisconsin and is now in Wuppertal in Nordrhein-Westfalen. Comes from a small town like me, and is mad about Harry Potter...

This is Brad from Mississippi. This was taken on in the Alps in Austria. We climbed a peak, Pfänder, and had to have our Sound of Music moment at the top. THE HILLS ARE ALIVE!

Michael from Kansas now in Berlin, Gwen, Tyler from Ohio now in Chemitz, Sachsen in East Germany (like myself), Silkee (our German intercultural tutor), Amelia from Indiana (with whom I had many many political conversations we pretty much have the same politics all across the board), and Vern (who was not PPPer like the rest of the Americans but was working in making documentaries in Switzerland (grew up in Papua/New Guinea so he had lots of good stories).

Vern, Harrison (who is 12 and was going to the langauge school with us.) Dave from Texas and is very Texan but no accent and is in Braunschweig in Niedersachsen. And Jennifer from California who is now in Berlin. Studies art and was actually Alternative because one PPPer decided to not go when he got to D.C. So she had pretty much only one week notice and that she was living in Germany for a whole year.

Brad, Stephanie from New York who is also in Berlin, and Jennifer. This pick was also on Pfänder, so everyone was exhausted in this pic. It was 1064 meters up which means about 3,000 ft. Not bad for a WV, but a molehill in the Alps.

Chan and his camelback (which he wore everywhere). He is from Massachussetts and yes a liberal. His Ted Kennedy in '80 pretty much announced that to everyone. He is in Hamburg right at this moment. Michael, and Vincent from Strasbourg in Alsace. I sat next to him in my class. The French guys were the funniest people I have met so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home